TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids and represents the combined content of all substances in a liquid that can be measured in molecular, ionized or micro-granular suspended forms.
TDS refers to anything in water apart from the H20 molecule itself. These can include dissolved salts, minerals, compounds, or metals found in a given volume of water.
What is a TDS tester?
A TDS tester or meter is a small hand-held device used to indicate the Total Dissolved Solids in a solution, usually water. Since dissolved ionized solids, such as salts and minerals, increase the conductivity of a solution, a TDS tester measures the conductivity of the solution and estimates the TDS from that reading.
How to use a TDS tester
This is a simple but very reliable tester that measures the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in water. It gives a reading in parts per million (ppm) of all the dissolved solids, good or bad. Dissolved solids in water are mainly its mineral content. If your tap water, for example, has a TDS reading of 250 parts per million, that means that the total content of the minerals dissolved in the water make up 250 parts per million of the total volume.
For practical purposes, TDS measurement is a very effective way to test you reverse osmosis unit’s performance.
1. Remove the cover from the bottom of the tester, then turn on the unit by pressing the On/Off button. The display should read 000.
2. Insert the tip of the tester (the end where the cover was) into the water to be tested. A half inch or so deep is plenty. You’ll ruin the meter if you submerge it too deeply.
3. Read the numbers on the display. The number you see is the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of the water expressed in PPM (parts per million).
4. The Hold button and the Temp button are features you probably won’t need. Hold locks the number on the display so it won’t go away and Temp measures the temperature of the water.
5. When you’re finished, turn the tester off.
Where to buy a TDS tester
Getting a quality TDS tester for purchase can be a daunting task, that’s why I am recommending you to purchase one of this device from Banggood.com
Knowing your TDS level is important when considering a Salt-free Water Conditioner for your home. Salt-free Water Conditioners can protect pipes and plumbing, decrease spots and stains on dishes and shower doors, increase the life of brighter clothing, and more, without wasting salt or water.